Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Odyssey- Books 5-12

     In this section, Odysseus visited King Alcinous; they sat down and ate dinner together. Odysseus decided that he liked King Alcinous, and wanted to tell him the story of his journey. Odysseus tells the King of the many storms and bad situations he and his crew member were in throughout the journey. Zeus and Poseidon, (Jove and Neptune) were the cause of these storms. It appears as if Zeus does not care for Odysseus at all. I have been wondering why that is. I also wonder if, at one time, Odysseus did something that angered the gods. 
     
     After reading that section of the book, I think that Odysseus is a very clever and brave person. He was very clever when he fooled the Cyclops by telling him his name was Noman. I liked the part when the other Cyclops thought Polyphemus was crazy because he said that no man was killing him. Odysseus is brave when he goes exploring first. Most of the time, when he saw something new, he went to explore it and then he came back and told his men if it was safe. 
     
     Even though I think Odysseus is brave and clever, I think he was pushing too far with the Cyclops (Polyphemus). Polyphemus was very angry after Odysseus' men hurt his sight, but Odysseus kept taunting him. He was making him a lot more angry than he was. I can sympathize with the Cyclops in this situation, because getting taunted on top of already being angry is not enjoyable at all. I think he really should not have done that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment