Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Odyssey- Books 18-24

     Well, that was unexpected. The story, up until this point, has been repetitive and drawn out. I was pleasantly surprised when I read this week, because the story really did reach a higher climax than I thought it would. It was very interesting, and it kept me reading a lot better than it did before. The steps of the Hero's Journey stood out very well. The last battle was very intriguing, because Minerva created a "fortunately, unfortunately" plot structure in a few of the last books, which kept it going. I could not tell if Ulysses was going to win or not, because at one point it seemed like Minerva got really upset with him. I thought she would stop protecting him, but she did not.
   
     I was still frustrated that some parts of the story were repetitive. I heard some things about four times from different people, even though Homer had already explained them. I realize that this was because it was a type of poem, but it did not seem like a poem for most of the story. I was also a bit frustrated when Minerva would make things worse after they had just gotten a little better, and I had mixed feelings about it. It seemed to make the story just keep going as I mentioned earlier, but it also was not a good thing. There were many times when I got a little bit fed up with Ulysses because he would not show himself to Penelope, and insisted on keeping himself disguised. I thought that Homer should have made the story more romantic by letting Ulysses show himself to Penelope before anyone else, because she was grieving so much. I think that that was not fair.

     Over all, I was satisfied with the ending. It seemed to wrap things up. The suitors are gone, and Odysseus' journey has come to an end. He is back home, where he wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment