Friday, October 11, 2013

Geeks Bearing Gifts

I think one writing technique this author uses is mood. The main character changed moods throughout the story. I think that she didn't really know what to think about the different outsiders that she talked to.  But I know that at the end, she decided she wanted to be friends with most of them. Her view of her boyfriend also changed. After Renee showed Bobby what she learned about the "geeks," his view didn't change and she got frustrated with him. She learned that they were real people with real feelings. I think that my view of all of those different kinds of people also changed, because I felt like I was the one who was sitting down with those different people and getting their story. I did not really feel like I could relate with those characters, but I think that I understand their point of view.

I think the author also used different points of view. He did not use them in first person, but he made it clear what each person thought. Renee, at the end of the book, felt kinder towards the people she interviewed. She had a different view on the whole situation of different kinds of people in her school. Some of the interviewees felt annoyed that they were being seen as a type of outcast. Willard, though, viewed himself as a type of outcast, and asked Renee why she had not interviewed him right away. Bobby's point of view never changed. He viewed everyone but himself as outcasts. He was not a very open-minded or forgiving person, either. I did not agree with him when he was trying to tell Renee who she can and cannot be friends with.

No comments:

Post a Comment