Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Good Man is Hard to Find- Discussion

   I think I saw the roles of chance and fate when the family was eating dinner and the grandmother was talking to Red Sam. The stories he told were what made me notice that. I think the way The Misfit was is chance. He did not have to be like that, he could of grown up to be a kind, forgiving man. There was the chance that he would not become a good man, and that slight chance happened. I think it was fate when the family's car tipped over and the grandmother got to talk to The Misfit. It was fate when she talked to him, and told him what a good man he was. I do not think it changed him, though. If it did, I certainly could not tell. Maybe it changed him on the inside, and it would make him change someday.

   I think the grandmother's definition of a good man is someone who can change. It could also be someone who came from a good family and was good to begin with, even if they are not anymore. She also thinks a good man is someone who prays, and gets forgiven by God. In the story, the grandmother tells The Misfit over and over that he is a good man. I guess that I never thought of someone like that to be a good man, but the grandmother does. She also tells The Misfit that he needs to pray. She says that if he prays, he will get help; he does not want to. She still calls him a good man.
   By reading this story, I have realized that in life I try to view everyone as good people. I try to see the good in them. I have realized that I do not do this as much as I thought I tried to. I do not think that I could ever call a person who has broken out of jail and is running with two men and two guns a good man. I would not be able to see the good in them.
   I do agree when the grandmother says that there is good in everyone, and that she is trying very hard to see the good in The Misfit. I also agree when she says that if he prays, he could do better. I think that even if he does not believe in prayer, repenting and being sorry for the bad things he has done would be good for him.

   I wonder if the grandmother knew that The Misfit was going to shoot them all. When I came to that part, I noticed that it seemed like the grandmother knew he would, and was trying to convince him that he was a good man, and had no place going around and shooting people.
   I also wonder why the grandmother said he was one of her own children. I wonder if she meant that he was as good as one of her own children, or that he literally was.


   In the blogpost we read about Flannery O'Connor, I noticed something that I had never thought about before. The author of this blogpost got an opinion from another person about A Good Man is Hard to Find. The person said that grace was a part of the story, and that many of O'Connor's stories have grace in them. I stopped and thought about it, and realized that it is very much true. When the grandmother in the story just stopped and talked to the Misfit, telling him he was a good man and that things could get better and he could be forgiven, that was all grace. Having grace is what helped her to, in a way, forgive the Misfit.

6 comments:

  1. I am also surprised to see how the Misfit could be considered a "good man." The grandmother must be a pretty big optimist, but I think she was trying to avoid being shot by the Misfit. I also agree that there is good in everyone. If the Misfit changes his ways, he would not be known as a criminal, but as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your interpretation of the grandmother's definition of a good man: Someone who has the potential to change. After reading the article, I think the reason why the grandmother said that he was one of her own children was because she received grace at the point and was trying to reach out. The grandmother thought she had touched the Misfit, but the Misfit killed her. After the Misfit killed the grandmother, he somehow received the grace:
    "No pleasure but meanness," he said... (Before)
    ...The Misfit said. "It's no real pleasure in life." (After)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Wait... What's with the time on my comment?
      4:14? lol It's already 7:19!

      Delete
  3. You saw this really differently than I did and I think that you have a really cool perspective on the story. And I am pretty sure that you were one of the firsts done so way to not procrastinate .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed with Linnea - you had a different perspective than I, and it was very cool. As I've been reading everyone's responses, it's like everybody had a different and uniquely cool perspective on the story.
    - It is weird how the Grandmother sees him as a good man... but I wonder if she's not actually seeing him as a good man, maybe she's just trying to save her life and the lives of her family by means of flattery? I mean, if she knew she was going to be shot, perhaps she told him the things she did as some kind of last resort?

    ReplyDelete