Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail- Act 2

It is very ironic that Henry says he feels more free inside the jail cell than outside, even though people are locked inside a jail cell to be stripped of their freedom. I think that Henry feels more free inside, because he is not being told to pay his taxes, and he is not in the middle of the war.
I also think that is was somewhat ironic that Henry was encouraging people not to pay taxes, and then his own family member was the one who payed Henry's taxes to get him out.

I think that the most important characters in this play are Henry, John, and Bailey. The reason that Henry is the most important character is self explanatory. His name is in the title of the book, and the book was written about him. John is important because he is Henry's brother and very good friend, and they teach their class (where the teaching is based on Transcendentalism) together. Bailey is also an important character, because Henry talks to him and teaches him in the jail cell.
I would cast Johnny Depp as Henry Thoreau, because while I was reading The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail, I thought that some of the things Henry said and the way I imagined him saying them reminded me of the character Depp took on in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I think he could play the part well.
I would cast Sam Claflin (from Catching Fire) as John, because I think Claflin would play the part nicely. I think that he would be good at portraying John, who is similar to his brother Henry.
I think I would want Woody Harrelson to play Bailey, because I think that he could play the sad, jailed man nicely. Bailey reminded me of the way Haymitch was portrayed in The Hunger Games.

I think that at first, Henry's protest was not successful. His aunt payed his taxes and made it so that he could leave the jail. He was very upset about this, because his whole point of the protest was to let people know that his taxes were not going to be payed.
But at the very end, things changed, and Henry walked out. Not because he was informed he was free, but because he chose to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment